I read the G2 interview in Monday’s Guardian with a great deal of interest, because it was about Piers Morgan and there have been times when he’s taken on some of our dishonest leaders and shaken them up a bit, and I find that admirable.
But when he was talking to Simon Hattenstone, he attacked so many people it was quite difficult to sort them all out. The article began with him admitting that he is ‘waging war on woke’, I’ll quote what he said. ‘Wokery has been hijacked by extremely illiberal people bordering on fascists,’ and later, ‘liberal fascists are taking over the world.’ There’s a contradiction in terms if ever I read one, but he’s happy to give examples of them, ‘the fascist, transgender lobby who won’t accept that trans women are different from biological women’ and ‘the fascist celebs who fly thousands of miles to environmental conferences in private jets to order us to become carbon neutral.’ Now I can quite see that people who are called ‘woke’ have some rather odd opinions (as well as some very good ones), and the celebs are people who are just a little too full of themselves, but that is not the same thing as being a fascist. Fascists are a totally different political breed and very dangerous. We need to be careful that we reserve the term for those who really deserve it.
So what is a fascist? I can’t do better than to quote the fourteen signs as they were defined by Dr Lawrence Britt in Spring 2003:
Fourteen defining characteristics of fascism.
- Powerful and continuing Nationalism. Constant use of patriotic mottos, slogans symbols and songs.
- Disdain for the recognition of human rights – Because of fear of ‘enemies’ and the need for ‘security’, people in fascist regimes are persuaded that human rights can be ignored in certain cases. They therefore look the other way and/or approve of torture, summary executions, assassinations etc.
- Identification of enemies/scapegoats as a unifying cause. People are rallied into a unifying frenzy over the need to eliminate a perceived threat or foe: racial, ethic or religious minorities, liberals, communists, socialists, terrorists etc.
- Supremacy of the military.
- Rampant sexism. Traditional gender roles are made more rigid. Divorce, abortion and homosexuality are suppressed and the state is represented as the ultimate guardian of the family.
- Controlled mass media.
- Obsession with National Security.
- Religion and government are intertwined. Governments use the most common religion in the nation to manipulate public opinion.
- Corporate power is protected
- Labour power is suppressed. Because the organising power of trade unions is the only real threat to a fascist government, Unions are either eliminated or severely suppressed.
- Disdain for intellectuals and the arts.
- Obsession with crime and punishment. Police are given almost limitless power to enforce the laws.
- Rampant cronyism and corruption.
- Fraudulent elections.
These are signs that are very obvious in the characters and behaviour of a lot of our present rulers, here and in the United States and you don’t have to read very far down the list before you recognise them.
Slogans are bellowed at us here and in America on a regular, boring basis. Somebody has obviously told Johnson that slogans in three phrases or three words are the best kinds, so we have ‘Stay home. Protect the NHS. Save Lives’ and currently ‘Hands, Face, Space.’ Bish, bash bosh.
Trump was voted into power on another slogan ‘Make America Great Again’.
And the fear of ‘enemies’ is endemic in both our countries. Cast your minds back to the blazing propaganda of the Brexit campaign and see how skilfully Farage stirred up hatred of the ‘other’ and the ‘outsider’ with his odious poster.
And now the very unpretty Miss Patel is stirring up hatred of the ‘other’ by her diatribes against refugees arriving here in cockle shell boats across the channel. Her language is venomous in exactly the same way as the language used by Hitler and Goebbels was when they were shrieking against the Jews. And most of us can remember painfully well how that particular manufactured hatred ended up.
Rampant sexism grows more widespread here, our mass media are certainly controlled – look who owns them – and our elections are fraudulent, as Brexit was. Look at the skilful and half hidden lies on that revolting red bus.
In short we are already in danger of becoming a fascist state, with all that that entails and we need to encourage people to make a stand against it before it is too late and we are forbidden to have any opinion at all, other than the one in power.
We need newsmen and women and political journalists from every sphere, to speak up loud and clear whenever they hear a fascist preaching poison and to do that Piers you need to see your enemy rather more clearly than you do at present. People who are ‘woke’ are not fascists, they are just people who see things differently and that makes them uncomfortable so they speak up against them. The celebs he hates are not fascists, they are just overblown, self-important, arrogant men and women who speak before they think.
And in the meantime the fascists are there and already in power and dangerous. Strength to your arm.