At last, I’ve got some news for you.
Some of the trustees of the Blake Society have been talking to Tim Heath, who as you’ll probably remember, is the principal member of the Blake Cottage Trust triumvirate and have persuaded him to release some of the information he’s been given about the present state of the cottage. It is dire. As you can see, if you look at the images on this link:
My amanuensis and I have tried to download the pictures for you but it can’t be done, however they are now in the public domain and anyone can see them by using the link.
The journal is easier to download – take a look at this.
Now we know how very little, relatively speaking, it will cost to start the repairs we all want to see started. If the Blake Cottage Trust have sufficient money to contemplate spending half a million pounds on a brand new building that they have said they will knock down half the existing cottage to build (and that will cost money too) and have presumably set aside the £50,000 they were talking about which will be the cost of the plans and architectural drawings for this proposed building, they shouldn’t have any problem paying the bill to have this vital work done. You will notice that the principal conservation officer of the Arun District Council has given them permission to do it. The only thing that Mr Heath has not told us is when this is going to be.
On the other hand, it is also possible that the proposed new building was actually a pipe dream and they haven’t got the money for it. It might even be that they haven’t got the £4,800 that is needed for the repairs. If that is the case, instead of dragging this whole business out and delaying and delaying in the hope that something will turn up, Mr Micawber style, they should come clean and admit it to us.
Perhaps we should let him know how very important we think this work is and how impatient we are for him to get it started. Perhaps we should start that petition we’ve been thinking about. What do you think?